The arrival of Ms. Halynd


So, some unexpected experiences this weekend! I went to my 38 week check up on Wednesday. He said we were about 4.5 centimeters and 80% effaced. I was prepared to go another 2 weeks, expecting what I did with Malachi. He didn't come until I was 4o weeks! Well, Thursday rolls around and I start feeling "strange". I was having pretty regular contractions every 7-12 minutes. Some felt crampy, and I was sure this was it. We decided to head to the hospital. I was going to wait until Donovan was off work at Youth Bridge at 10pm, but around 6:30 I told him that we may need to go a little sooner. So, he was able to get off work and meet me. We took Chi and his brother and sister to our house, where the Rambos very graciously watched them for us. I grabbed a tentative overnight bag with a change of clothes, toothbrush, hairbrush, deodorant and a couple outfits for the baby, "just in case". We went into the ER and they took us right up to Labor and Delivery. Before we knew it, I was being monitored and they were keeping track of my contractions. Disappointed, we were told my cervix was still only 4 cm-there was not a change and that we would most likely get to go home. 10 minutes before they turned off the machines, Halynd's heart rate drastically dropped. Donovan and I looked at each other, not knowing what to think. The nurse rushed in and ordered an IV, ordered me to turn off my back and paged the doctor. Bewildered, Donovan and I sat and wondered what in the world was going on. Almost an hour went by and as soon as a contraction was heavy, her heartbeat plummeted again. The doctor reviewed the information and calmly gave us our options. He said that if I were contracting and my cervix were changing, he'd break my water and we'd deliver a baby, but since that weren't the case, he believed her heart rate decrease was a sign of distress. Whenever a hard contraction came, she was telling us that it was too much to handle. He believed she had her umbilical cord wrapped around her neck and that was causing a blood flow problem. He told us finally that the only safe option we had and what he highly recommended was an emergency Cesarean Section. This was not in my plan. I was afraid. More afraid than anything in my entire life. Within an hour of this conversation with the doctor, we delivered Halynd Zara Grace Golden. She was born at 12:37 am on July 10, 2009. She weighed 6 lbs 12 ounces and was 19 inches long. The strange part-she's perfect. No umbilical cord problems, no breathing problems, perfect in every way. 10 fingers 10 toes. Her daddy's nose and momma's mouth. The Doc told us that she was actually full term. My uterus was already a 40 week uterus! So, quite a few shocks and surprises, but in all, she was beautiful, healthy and thriving. The hospital visit turned into quite an experience as well. When they did my spinal for the c-section, it didn't work the first time, so they ended up doing 2. In this event, the second one worked, allowed Haly to be delivered and held no complications on the operating table. But in recovery, I experienced some leaking spinal fluid. This was very painful and will take some time to fully be healed. After 2 caffeine drips, lots of demerol, vikoden and motrin, my spinal leak was plugged, and my piercing headache from spinal pressure is almost gone. I was able to go home! So, Halynd and I are safe. She eats like a pig, sleeps beautifully and is very calm, so far! So, we have this beautiful new baby girl as an addition to our family. Malachi loves her and is exhausted from all the traveling, staying with people and changes! All is well in the Golden house.

Comments

Tammy said…
Congratulations! She is adorable! I love her head band...wow...sounds like things went a little crazy there for awhile! So thankful that you all are doing well. Can't wait to see her in person! Warm hugs to you all! We love and miss you!.
Kista said…
Oh, you guys--she is BEAUTIFUL! Praises to God that you're all well! Give her big hugs and kisses from us!

Popular posts from this blog

Motherhood is...

Steadfast love

A whole year with the little ladybug