Boogers can make you bleed

Strange title for a post? I think not. Considering I was just doing my daily vacuum spree around the house-you know, the bedrooms; next onto the living room for the couch and the rug in there. There was, I kid you not, a dried booger on my couch cushion. Before I realized what it was, I did what you always do when there's a dried spot on the couch-use my fingernail to pick it off. Well, dried boogers are very sharp when they dry. Instantly my memory was jogged of the 12 running nostrils in the house when blood trickled from my middle finger.

I've been struggling with a few things for a while. I feel like I am constantly cleaning the entire time I am awake. I have attempted to make a schedule of chores that need to be done weekly/daily/every other dayish. This, you see, does. not. work. Not with multiple children under the age of 3 running around. I am not exaggerating when I say that I can meticulously clean the kitchen while they are eating breakfast, diligently have the dishwasher waiting for their dishes and meander into the living room and meticulously clean (I'm talking cheerios, apple jacks and captain crunch removed from under the couch type of clean). Only to find that the jovial chatter in the kitchen was actually the banging of yogurt covered spoons.

There are many instances where situations like this occur, quite frequently actually:
-You think your toddler is playing innocently with a walmart bag behind you as you talk to a bill company on the phone facing toward the computer. Nope, it's a bag of Easter grass that she has gleefully discovered. It's in the vacuum. It's in the couch cushions, under the couch cushions, in between the couch cushions. It's strewn throughout the living room. And later to be discovered in multiple places such as in her onezie.
-Your three year old is sitting at the table coloring so peacefully. You decide to check the mail. Come back in the door, sit down at the computer, open mailllll-HE'S OUTSIDE ON THE TRAMPOLINE!! He can now open the deadbolt. Joy.
-Last scenario (definately not last on the list, but last to list here)-Just when you think you can't handle anymore-you hear a loud crash in the kid's room. It's the entire 9 compartment toy bin organizer. On it's side. With two 2 year olds that are rather proud of themselves that they've accomplished such a feat. Of which they are now removing *(throwing) all the bins and their contents across the room so they can paddle their imaginary, "Row, row, row your boat". They missed the memo. This is NOT a boat. I cry.

I read a blog this morning that reminded me about something, of which reminded me about something else. :) (Love when that happens) The post was about how we shouldn't compare ourselves as mothers to other mothers. Sure, there is asking advice on how to potty train your child and tips on projectile vomiting, but we should never compare ourselves to one another!

Make a careful exploration of who you are and the work you have been given, and then sink yourself into that... Don't compare yourself with others. Galatians 6:4

I feel like I provide a loving, safe, nurturing learning environment for the kiddos I watch, as well as mine. Let's face it. I am a mother to more than just my children. Monday thru Friday, they are in my care from 7 am-6 pm. They see me 11 hours a day out of the 15 hours they are awake. I need to be a good example for them. I should be lovingly picking up toys and teaching them how to clean up when they are finished. Instead, of the late, I have often found myself begrudgingly putting away the pull behind dog for the 600th time, kicking cars that are scattered down the hallway in hopes they will go into Malachi's room and hotheadedly organizing the toys in the toy bin organizer (for the 600th time that day). I want my kids and the kids I watch to know I am filled with the spirit. Not the team spirit of "Yeah, let's clean this up, on 3!", but the spirit of Jesus. If I am not exuding the spirit to them, what example am I setting? It is a harsh reality when you realize you are being dumb and not following the examples Christ has clearly set for us to follow. At times I silently scream in my head, "PLEASE, fill me up. I can't take anymore. Not one more thing, Lord. I am tired. I am done. Done for the day. No more." And then I hear a crash. I am brought back to reality. Malachi has broken a bowl, but calmly rationalizes the situation with me, "Momma, it's brokeen. But Momma, Bob the builder, we can fix it? Yes, we can!". Pray for me that I can consistently remember that I am not alone, even when I am alone. The spirit is with me and knows what I need. Sometimes I get so caught up with myself and how I am "dying inside" and tired. That's what the spirit is for. He's there to fill you up. All you have to do is ask.

Comments

Shaun Ditty said…
I love your blog Meghan! You are a talented writer and I love reading your cute little stories. I am so encouraged by your drive to follow the Lord in every aspect of your life, and to allow Him to fill you up when you're empty! Thanks for sharing :)
Carman said…
I needed this today, Meghan. Thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

Gentry Zoo

A whole year with the little ladybug

Random thought