No Justice
I have had the indescribable opportunity to see unbelievable destruction. I have had the incredible pleasure of serving people who have lost everything. I could not even begin to realize what devastation took place until I had the chance to serve the people of Joplin.
There are those whose homes were left unscathed by the F5 tornado that touched down in Joplin almost a week ago. The reported 200 mph winds ripped bark off of trees, moved entire homes off of their foundations into the front yard, crumpled whole cars and trucks into unrecognizable balls of metal and completely demolished over 2,000 homes, schools and businesses. It is unfathomable that only 156(ish) people died. Although, there are still over 105 people missing and unaccounted for, it's hard to even imagine how anyone survived this.
The news does this disaster NO justice. I watched the news reporting early Monday morning, first thing, on the local 4029. As well, the Today show had a 15 minute special to start off their show Monday morning. I could not wrap my mind around the devastation surrounding the news reporters. The images flashing across the screen of them standing in front of a deserted, completely lost hospital still could not even entertain my mind of what is really there.
Canvasing the streets today with Metro Church was an amazing blessing. We were able to walk up and down the most devastating parts referred to as "Ground Zero", clip board in hand, work gloves shoved neatly in our back pockets-and knock on houses (that had doors). Generally, we would walk up to a few people standing on foundation where a house should've been, or them sorting through random belongings. We were able to look them in the eye and offer them physical needs such as fresh, clean bottled water, sanitary and toiletry needs, medicine, non perishable foods, clothes, diapers, wipes, medicine. We were able to tell them there was a place (Grace Baptist Church) just down the street with hot meals, drinks and rooms full of clothing for them. We were able to show them the love of Christ through actually taking to time to care about them and their physical well being.
Coming home was something surreal. I imagined my home looking like the war like scenes in the streets of Joplin. I imagined my clothing blown 3 blocks down, my walls completely gone, my memories and keepsakes ruined by rain and ravaged by wind. I imagined how I would feel if I were completely at a loss like the people we met in Joplin. Instead, I'm sitting in the air conditioning-not like the smoggy, humid atmosphere of Joplin where there is no electricity or clean drinking water. Instead, I am working on my computer. Instead, I am sitting in a perfectly put together, comfortable home. I can only imagine what the people feel like in that city. Even after seeing what I've seen and experiencing what I have-I know that I could never feel the full awareness of what the people of Joplin are feeling.
As the news keeps exposing stories of amazing survival, or unfortunate death-I still cannot wrap my mind around the fact that this has even happened. Please keep praying for the people of Joplin. Please pray also for all the people who have the heart and spirit of Jesus to do His work and take care of his people. Please also pray that we continue to sacrifice and love on these people to show them that there really is hope. That there really are people who just want to help. That there are people who really do care.
Comments