Homemade laundry soap

Well-it's been almost a year now and the recipe is perfected! Not only does it leave our clothes feeling soft and smelling great, but it cleans them very well! (that's the most important!)

I thought I would post pics and a step by step process because of how many people have asked!

The cost breakdown:
3 bars ivory soap (for a triple batch) $1.18.
1 box of borax (3 cups-triple batch) $2.28
1 box super washing soda (3 cups- triple batch) $2.50
1 bar fels naphtha (whole bar-triple batch) $.98

Total cost= $6.91

This last us 2 months. We do laundry every day! You only use one tablespoon per small load and 2 tablespoons per large/very dirty load. So it goes far.

The best part for me (besides the cost) is that there's no cooking. It takes 30 minutes (of uninterrupted time) to grate the soap and measure the powders. For a momma with three kids and an in home daycare-time is precious.

You can use a cute glass container with a lid or a gallon sized plastic bag-the choice is up to you! I found cute jars at Walmart with the highest price at $8.97. I chose a side facing one that I could reach-it was $5.97.

Here's the directions-
1. Gather all the ingredients together.
2. Grate 3 bars ivory (or any organic/free bar) soap into a large bowl.
3. Grate whole fels naphtha with ivory.
4. Measure 3 cups super washing soda and 3 cups borax. Pour into large bowl with soaps. Mix well. Pour into glass container or gallon ziplock and...
Done!

We still buy fabric softener (because we are Downey junkies) but using a 1/3 cup white vinegar would do well for static cling!

Here are some pictures of the process-although I'm sure my phone will select a random order for them :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gentry Zoo

A whole year with the little ladybug

Random thought