Manic mornings!

Mornings around here are...interesting (usually). It's unusual to have a slow morning, where everything runs smoothly, everyone is in a good morning mood, and people are at school and work on time. We used to do a few things differently that made the madness manageable. I feel like we better get this to an oiled, running machine before we have 3 kids in school (or maybe 4 when Izzy comes home).

To make mornings easier, we do a few things-and it begins with the night before.

-Do reading and homework the night before. We have tried to do this in the morning, but boy-it doesn't work out! They are tired and do not want to focus. I don't have the time to sit down and go through each word and sentence. It's 100% better for our sanity if we do all homework before dinner! 

-Pack lunches-make sure they are in the fridge and ready to go! 

-Lay out breakfast. Set the cereal or oatmeal and fruit they are going to eat, on the counter. Bowls and spoons ready to go. 

-Lay out clothes and shoes-inevitably, a shoe or pair of certain shoes (that they HAVE to wear that day) are no where to be found. Or the pair of socks that were grabbed "feel weird" on their toes. Or the pants "feel weird" when they sit down. Dealing with these issues the night before is a lot simpler than in the morning.

There have been Sunday afternoons where we spend some time picking out outfits for the entire week. Let me say-that is the most helpful! But it doesn't always happen. 

Mornings are always hit or miss with good moods. I feel like Donovan and I set the mood. Some mornings, I wake up on the wrong side of the bed. I am easily annoyed by the requests of the kids, I am short with them, I hurry them along. I just want to drink my coffee. I do not want to look back and reminisce about mom always being grouchy in the mornings. I want my kiddos to know I will miss them when they are at school. That there will be a happy mommy picking them up. 

I want my kiddos to learn the morning routine well, so they know what to expect. My kids love and thrive on routine, and right now-ours is all jumbled. There's no consistency. If we have a set routine in the morning, I am sure these kiddos of mine will be up and going through the motions without a second thought! 

If we get this morning madness down to a morning mission, I think we will all be happier! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gentry Zoo

A whole year with the little ladybug

Random thought